Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Snow cone anyone?

Last night I worked the concession stand at the local baseball field.  In the past I have signed up for the early shift (5:00- 7:30), but this time I was put on the later shift (7:00- 9:30).  I was not looking forward to working so late, but it ended up being fun (and less busy). 

I was assigned the snow cone window.  The kids get a free snow cone after their game and I knew it would be busy, so I prepared myself for the hordes of tired baseball players that were sure to come.  I organized the area, placing the paper cones in an easy to reach spot and making sure the spoon and straw holders were full.  Then I waited.  I waited and waited and waited.  I visited with some of the other volunteers, got some bubblegum and still no long lines.   I reminisced about the olden days when my friends and I used to hang out at the ballpark, but I did not get overloaded with kids. 

I had a small trickle of people occassionally, most of them young spectators, but never did I have the crowd the earlier shift gets when the Little League plays.  I guess the older kids are too macho for snow cones?  Some very young children came, though, as did a group of the same kids who kept finding baseballs (they get a free snow cone if a foul ball is caught and returned).  Most were polite, but some were rude.  The nerve of them! 

Overall it was a fun night filled with great conversation and little stress.  I got home around 9:45 with sticky shoes and snow cone juice all over my shirt, but I did not feel overworked or stressed out like I thought I would.  I hope next time, which is in a couple of weeks, turns out the same.  I will let you know.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

That sounds like a wonderful time! I love baseball games & snow cones. I wish I could have been there.... you are such a good particpant!