Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It does take a village...



Baby pictures of Nicholas, Andrew and Katie respectively

I went back to my sister-in-law's house last Thursday through Saturday to help with the baby while her husband was out of town.  I was reminded of the sleepless nights and mere hopelessness all moms feel when their babies are crying inconsolably...and the exhaustion that comes from it all.

I can look back now and realize how very lucky I am to have such a wonderful husband.  I do not know how I would have gotten through the newborn stages without Pete.  I had to have three c-sections, so my recovery period was much longer.  My wonderful husband took two weeks off when each child was born.  When he went back to work, Pete would come home early to check on me or bring me lunch, even when it was out of his way.  He got up in the middle of the night to change diapers after I was done nursing.  When the babies graduated to bottles, Pete would feed them at night so I could sleep, and I would wake up with the babies early in the morning.  It was (and still is) a partnership- husband and wife, father and mother.  Together we made it through the sleepless nights: teething, acid reflux, asthma and croup, etc.

I also could not have made it through the baby stages without my mom.  Luckily we live in the same city.  She would come and help me while Pete was at work.  Mom would watch the babies so I could have a break.  In fact, she watched Katie for a year when I was still teaching (I quit when I had Andrew).  I am so grateful for her, and my dad, for their selfless love. 

Friends also helped me in those early years.  It was so nice to talk to moms with babies and discover they were going through some of the same things.  I met the moms through my church, Mother's Day Out, and various play groups I joined.  All of these things were as good for me as they were for my children.

It does take a village to raise a child.  Who belongs to your village?

No comments: