Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Here Comes My Baby

Today my mom (Nini) treated the kids and me to a movie. We went to see a Disney movie, "Race to Witch Mountain," rated PG. From the very opening scene, I started to wonder whether or not we were in the right movie. UFOs, aliens, government interference and an ex-con taxi driver who was trying to escape from his shady past; these are not the normal kid-movie themes. I started to panic, thinking I was ruining my children's pyschological well-being by letting them stay in this movie. But then I heard a voice tell me, "Calm down and watch the movie." I looked over at the kids, whose eye's were glued to the screen.
I leaned over and said, "Be sure to cover your eyes and ears if this gets too scary for you." Then I sat back and watched the movie, which was very good.
Half-way through, Nicholas climbed on my lap.
"Do you want me to call Daddy and have him come and get us?" I whispered in his ear.
"Are you kidding- this rocks," he answered, "I just love the looks of that alien girl."
Oh, no, I thought- he's only five! This can't start yet.
Later in the movie, Nicholas turns to me again with his fingers fanned out.
"You know," he said, "my fingers have the power to flash lightning."
"Really?" I said.
"Oh, yes. And I am not really human. I am just here on earth for a while and then I'll have to go back to my home planet of Pluto on my spaceship."
"I sure will miss you," I said sadly.
"Well...I don't think I'll go back yet."

This has gone on all afternoon and night, too. Nicholas' imagination is on fire with aliens, UFOs, magic powers, ESP, and the list goes on. All I can say is "Watch out fellow writers- here comes my baby!"

3 comments:

LKHarris-Kolp said...

Nicholas told us this morning he even dreamed he was that alien girl. :)

Debra Harris-Johnson said...

He is definitely the next Steven Spielberg!!!! My baby and I also went to the movies last night. Her treat! We saw "Knowing." She had lots of biblical questions, alien questions, monster questions, and she had a bad dream and got in the bed with me after her dad left for work. As you know my baby is almost 21. Some things never change. LOL

Jeni said...

That is so wonderful! I love creative minds at work. Kids are the funnest! I remember a few years ago, i saw that movie X-men and I LOVED IT! didn't think i was going to, but I had imagined i had special super powers and it made me feel like a kid! Glad to hear Nicholas is thinking like a kid ~ i hope it never goes away :)!
Enjoy my friend.
love you,
Jeni