Monday, March 9, 2009

A Scary Visitor



Yesterday we had a visitor on our front porch and unfortunately he got away before I could...kill him! Yes- we had a snake. Everyone thinks this was a cotton-mouth. I do know one thing, well two- this snake was HUGE and the head was triangular. I was getting ready to tutor and happened to look out my front window as my student and her mom were walking towards the door. They stopped suddenly and the mom bent down as if she was looking for something. I went out the garage door because I knew something was wrong, but I did not expect to see such a huge snake. I told my friend to hold on, I'd go and get a shovel, but she said, "No. There's no way you and I can kill that snake, Laurie." My husband and neighbor were gone, so my friend threw a stick at the snake and he didn't budge. We could hear Steve Irwin egging us on, "Okay, here we have a tricky one." But we persisted, and still couldn't get the snake to move. She finally left and my student and I went inside (I put the garage door down) to start our work. Fifteen minutes into the session, this sweet ten-year-old said, "You don't think he could get to my house, do you?" She was thinking about the snake, of course. So, while she worked, I quickly put the garage door back up and went to check again. I was scared, but I tiptoed down our sidewalk (it runs along the side of the house to the front door) with a broom (that's all I could find) carefully, slowly looking for Mr. Snake. I moved very quietly and deliberately, searching and hunting. I even got my nerve up enough to move around the pot plants, but no more Mr. Snake. He was gone. Rats. I wanted to kill him! Oh well, my brother-in-law came over later on and we searched everywhere, but I guess Mr. Snake went home. Please stay there and don't come back. I might have to kill you, Mr. Snake. HISSSS!

3 comments:

The Voice said...

I was told to always put sulfur around the house. Keeps snakes and other pests away.

Jeni said...

ewwwwwww, i don't like those things. Chad loves 'em. I have a video of him holding one... i should send it to you. :).xoxo

Lisa said...

I've been meaning to tell you that snakes are a sign of transformation. To the best of my recollection, it seems like this is the 2nd or 3rd post you've made about snakes.

You might take a look at whether you are in the midst of transformation. That may be why the snakes keep appearing???